So, for the most part, I really like my job. It's a small privately owned company that provides different financial services, mainly financial advisement for high-end investors and accounting for captive insurance companies. The company is owned by two extremely well to do ex-attorneys, who also happen to be members of the church. It makes for a very nice environment. But the environment is a little quirky too. You see, I don't know how many of you have ever worked for small companies, but this is a first for me. There are certain duties I have to preform, being that I'm an administrative assistant, that I wouldn't have to preform if I was working for a large business; such as taking out the trash, cleaning the coffee pot, etc... Those tasks I expected and was just fine with. But... my boss doesn't exactly know where his boundaries lie. Let me re-phrase that. He does not know where his boundaries lie at all. I thought some of you might like to hear about a few duties of mine (and my boss's personal assistant, which is not me) that were a bit over the line:
- Wrapping all of his wife's and his kid's Christmas presents.
- Writing a talk for church on Sunday (this he made his assistant do, and she's not even a member of the church!)
- Updating spreadsheets and making copies for various church meetings.
- Taking his car to get an oil change, or a dent fixed and then making me call back to negotiate the price down to a more reasonable one (I've had to do this 3 or 4 times).
- Making copies of his kid's homework.
- Driving down to the DMV and then waiting for two hours to get his wife's BMW re-registered.
That's just a few of the crazy things I have done for this man. I know there's so many more but I can't think of them all. He's such a nice guy too, so it's really hard to say no! Especially when he's smiling and has that shiny glint on his teeth (ding!).
6 comments:
Gail that is CRAZY! My sister had a job like that once where he made her go to the bank for him. She came back and quit. But she's not nearly as cool as you are.
But the church thing goes a little too far.
Those seem a bit crazy and unprofessional. Some of those go a to far! I don't know If I would do them.
Been enjoying your blogging!
Seriously my mouth is still hanging open from the shock! Those are personal things that he is having you guys do, especially the one about him having a non member write his talk for church...sounds like to me that he is just lazy and is using his pull as "The Boss" to have others do his work. It is very nice of you to help him but becareful he may have you washing his underwear next! LOL.
Yeah...on ocassion I get to help Gail run some of those errands. If her boss wasn't a member and such a nice guy, I probably would've objected a long time ago.
Gail, that is so seriously funny. You should write a book about it. I would read about the crazy life. But hey! I am so glad that you found my blog!!! I lost your address, didn't have your email and just didn't know how to get a hold of you. I honestly was just thinking of you a month ago. Hey, so I want to hear news, my email is kristisue00@gmail.com. Let me know. And I must admit, reading about high school as your answered those questions just made me laugh (while hearing 80s music playing in the background, who knows why). I for sure agree about thinking I was quite silly back then and would not go back even if you or anyone else paid me. But I do miss you! We did have fun! Anyways, hello. That was the general message of my novel-like comment.
GAIL,
ROFL!!!
I hear you 100%!!! I work for a small company, too... I am the personal assistant and office manager (even though I am PT - 1 day a week)! LOL! I now have a secretary to do that stuff for me. Before I quit FT, I did all of those things that you listed as well.... It's insane! I started making excuses about tending the children.... I found LOADS to do at work so that I'd be too busy to babysit. LOL!
Post a Comment