Friday, August 6, 2010

Tantrums

Meltdowns, fits, emotional breakdowns, whatever you want to call them... Josh has been perfecting the art. He started maybe a little over a month ago. Whenever he doesn't get something he wants, he screams. I know that doesn't sound too bad. But I mean, SCREAMS! And then he cries and screams some more and follows us around while screaming and crying. Oh man. I didn't think it could get any worse but last night I was proven wrong. It was bad. Our first mistake was letting Josh play outside after dinner. He seemed bored and didn't want to play with his toys and I was running out of ideas so I decided to let him brave the heat for a little bit just before bathtime. Our second mistake was letting Josh play with the hose while outside. I hate to say that it's a mistake to let your child have too much fun, but I almost feel like it is lately. Because there's the point where you have to put an end to the fun and that doesn't go over too well. He was soaking wet so I had to bring a towel out to dry him off. We stripped him down completely, diaper and all. Needless to say, Josh knew by the looks of the towel and us taking off his clothes, the fun was over. He let out the loudest scream I have ever heard come out of his little body. My ears rattled. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the cops. And then he proceeded to scream and cry for the next 45 minutes until bedtime. He didn't want his bath, he didn't want to brush his teeth, and he didn't want to put on his pajamas. Diego kindly tried to help me out but I declined because I didn't want to draw anymore attention to this crazy outburst. I was left totally frazzled the rest of the evening. What in the world happened?.... Today is better. I do believe half of his temper was because of a tooth that's coming in today. Whew, I hope that never happens again (of course, knowing full well that it will).

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Joss has just started testing the tantrum waters. I'm nervous too! The joys of parenting, right?

Sophia said...

Gail, I love the way you write your blog...you're so funny! It's fun to read about your parenting adventures with Joshy.

Mom Cove said...

I've been there and it's crazy.

But, "sometimes" getting the child distracted with something else works.

That's what the pediatrician suggested for some of my children (no names mentioned) and I found that it works - IF it's a really good distraction.

Personally, I LOVE playing in water - even washing dishes is fun for me. ;)
Well, getting me away from water play would take something "Super Duper" - a Lobster dinner for instance. :o)

Missing you all and Joshie!

Ari said...

Gail one remedy one word...Benedryl;) jk love ya!