Monday, July 27, 2009

16 and Pregnant


I've been debating about wether or not I should even make this post. I don't want to be judged for watching MTV! But when I heard of a new reality show called "16 and Pregnant", I was immediately intrigued. Josh's birthmother was 16 when she became pregnant, so I wanted to see what the show was all about.

Basically, it just follows young teenage girls throughout the course of their pregnancy, and even a little after the baby's born. I was worried that this show would make the young mothers look too happy and their pregnancy's look too glamorous for the targeted audience. But to my surprise, it really represents how difficult having a baby at such a young age can be. The final episode of the season is about a girl, Catelynn, and her boyfriend, Tyler, that decide to take the long winding path of adoption. I cried through the whole episode pretty much. It brought back so many memories to me. Not only that, I'm so glad I got to see it from a different perspective. I feel so proud of those kids and I don't even know them! They had absolutely no support from their families, their parents actually wanted them to keep the baby, and still chose to go through with it. I just admire birthparents so much. I can't exactly explain in what way I'm a different person these days. But the adoption of our baby boy has changed me completely. I think any other adoptive couple would agree with me, that we feel so indebted to our birthparents and we will never feel that our gratitude alone is enough. I'm always trying to think of new ways to thank them.

7 comments:

Nate said...

have you seen Juno? That movie is funny at times, but it is not for some people...aka my mom & sister. But I love your experiences and how they have taught you. One of my friends who served a mission in Las Vegas is unable to have kids and I have had long conversations w/ her and they just adopted a little boy in Utah a couple weeks ago. I am glad you posted that b/c it gave me a lot of things to think about as well.

Nate said...

sorry...that comment from Nate is Maggie :0~

Gail said...

Hi Maggie! I have seen Juno and I really didn't like it. Of course, we watched it when we thought we would never have kids and it hit home a little too much.

Katy said...

I totally saw that episode...actually we watch fairly often :)...anyway,I was completely in awe of those kids in their decision to give their baby girl a better life. Even though they were so young and their age showed through so much on the outside, they had such wise things to say - I couldn't believe they were smarter and more mature than their parents. My favorite line that the boy said "Babies need more than love." They knew they would love that little girl, but knew they couldn't give her the life she and all babies deserve.

I too wanted so badly to write her a letter and tell her how wise, courageous, and selfless she and her boyfriend were! After watching all those other girls and guys (some very immature and riduculous in my mind), it was so refreshing to see kids be so much more wiser than their years.

Annie said...

I won't judge because I watched the entire season and loved the final episode. I was totally in awe of how mature those two were. Incredible isn't it that they were able to break that cycle and give their little girl a better life. I thought of you though the whole episode.

Kristi Sue Fulton said...

I think adoption in general is amazing. I have watched my brother and sister-in-law adopt their three kids and I am amazed at the maturity that comes with that decision. Oh, and I have seen the show--I like it.

Jamie said...

I watched one too and cried. So selfless at such a young age. They got it. They knew their baby would be better with someone else.