Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wake up son! I’ll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash you got!

Anyone ever seen Raising Arizona? We rented it last week and I must say, it’s kinda funny! It sort of rang true to Diego and I. First of all, it takes place in Tempe. Second of all, it’s about a couple that can’t have children. You know, it’s a little refreshing to watch a movie that makes light of infertility. It’s about a couple, H.I. (pronounced Hi) and Edwina (Ed for short) that decides to kidnap a baby from a set of quintuplets. However, the kidnapping goes wrong from the very beginning and H.I. and Ed end up giving the baby back to the people they stole it from. I know there have been times when I don’t feel like it’s fair for one couple to have so many kids when I haven't been able to produce any on my own. Not that I would ever kidnap a child, but I can relate to the way H.I. and Ed feel.


“…And still I dreamed on, further into the future than I had ever dreamed before, watching Nathan Junior's progress from afar, taking pride in his accomplishments as if he were our own. Wondering if he ever thought of us and hoping that maybe we'd broadened his horizons a little even if he couldn't remember just how they got broadened. But still I hadn't dreamt nothing about me and Ed until the end. And this was cloudier cause it was years, years away. But I saw an old couple being visited by their children, and all their grandchildren too. The old couple weren't screwed up. And neither were their kids or their grandkids. And I don't know. You tell me. This whole dream, was it wishful thinking? Was I just fleeing reality like I know I'm liable to do? But me and Ed, we can be good too. And it seemed real. It seemed like us and it seemed like, well, our home. If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know. Maybe it was Utah.”

2 comments:

Diego said...

I too was surprised by some of the parallels. Who knows! Maybe we will steal a baby one of these days. I wouldn't put it past us ; ) Ha ha, just kidding!

Savannah said...

We just watched this movie. It was pretty cute and it did ring too. If you find a set of quints let us know and maybe we can each get one.