Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our Tree

This is our tree:
Well to be honest, I don't know if it's really a tree. Matter of fact, I don't know what kind of a plant it is at all. But we call it a tree and that makes us happy. Mr. Tree, as I will now refer to him, has had many homes. We bought him when we lived in Los Alamos from... Lowes was it? Oh I don't remember and it's not important. Anyway, Diego felt he would make a perfect addition to our breakfast nook and he definitely did. Mr. Tree was happiest (or so I thought) living in that bright room next to the sliding glass window which led to a balcony overlooking the beautiful forest. But that home was short-lived. Although Diego and I had lived there for over two years, Mr. Tree really only lived in that house for a couple months before we found out we were moving to Phoenix. He went on vacation once. That's right, Mr. Tree decided it would be best to live with my sister, Marianne, for two months while we made our move to sunny Arizona. Even though it meant he had to deal with our little nephew crawling to him, pulling out his trunk, and carelessly throwing him on the floor almost daily. He stood strong and never complained once. It only seemed to make him stronger. Glad was the day that we were able to bring Mr. Tree home to us. We placed him in our new living room next to the entertainment center where he lived for another two years. But as before, Mr. Tree was starting to get bullied by another baby, our little Josh, and as much as they loved each other, we all mutually agreed that Mr. Tree might feel better living on the stair case. And boy does he ever! You see, last week Mr. Tree became a man:
Mr. Tree! How come you never told us you can grow flowers? A big, beautiful, long-sloaping stem of white flowers. They only open at night and they fill the house with a strong scent. A scent which has been causing me nightly headaches, but don't tell Mr. Tree that. I thought he loved living in our breakfast nook in New Mexico the best but Mr. Tree has proven me wrong. He loves his stair case home. It's as if he wants to thank me by giving me fresh flowers every night. Thank you Mr. Tree! I know he has brown spots, is covered in dust, and his shape isn't as uniform and well-rounded as other trees but we love him anyway. I hope he sticks around for a long time.

12 comments:

Gordon and Patricia Peterson said...

What a great tree. I remember him in all the previous locations. Congratulations to the whole family.
Is Josh walking?talking? or anything else new?
Thanks for the valentine.

Crystal said...

What in the world? MY tree, Planty, never grew flowers. I'm so jealous. You win.

Maggie & Nate said...

wow Gail you made a wholesome story... :0) I am surprised Mr. Tree has been through a lot in his life...

Rhett said...

That tree is a great creature, he doesn't complain, that is probably the best thing about him.

Rheslie said...

Oh how I wish o wish I could make a plant happy in my home. Gail you must have special magical powers that make plants so happy. I love the pictures and I am happy to know there are people like you out there making one plant happy at a time!

Rheslie said...

GAIL! I wrote an awesome message to you about how awesome you are and how happy plants are around you...and then it disapeared, so if it shows back up hooray! and you are great!

Gail said...

Leslie, I changed my settings so that I approve all comments before they're posted. That's all. It's confusing a lot of people.

Crystal said...

How come, Gail? You don't want your "VT partner" to leave you any more messages about how she's leaving the church because of you?

Mom Cove said...

Gail, Diego and Joshie:

That's sssS000000oooooooo exciting!! You know how I love plants, flowers, trees, anything green. So I hope Mr. Tree is still in bloom when we see you in a couple of weeks.

It is a happy and fulfilled tree, for sure.
:)

Mom Cove said...

p.s. Your story of Mr. Tree would make a great children's storybook.

Kristi Sue Fulton said...

Oh my goodness! I have your Mr. Tree's brother. No joke-it looks the exact same. We got it when we got married. However, your tree is happier than mine because I have never seen flowers on mine. I thought he was happy. Oh well.

Gail said...

Mr. Tree's long lost brother! Do you think they should meet?