Sunday, November 1, 2009

Josh the Giraffe

We threw our ward Trunk or Treat party on friday. It was a pretty big hit. Note to self - order more like 18 dozen donuts, instead of 12 dozen. Those boxes were cleaned out about ten minutes after blessing the food. But the kids had so much fun. I think Josh had a good time, although he acted very nervous and just clung to our shoulders for the whole party. At least he didn't cry. And he was so exhausted from looking at all the kids' costumes that he went right to bed when we got home.


(I wish the tv wasn't on in this picture. I believe it's a rerun of America's Next Top Model.)
Oh. Let me ask you something. How do you feel about grown adults dressing up and collecting candy? On two or three occassions Halloween night we had parents with their kids come to our door, all dressed up and collecting candy in their own bag, for themselves. I didn't like it but I just gave them candy anyway. I mean, what do you do when they say trick or treat and hold out their bag?

7 comments:

Ari said...

Thats when you turn it all around on them. You could get an old shoe or some half eaten candy bar and throw it in the bag. Hee, hee:) j/k Or for next year get a bag of those yucky orange and black taffy chews, and throw a few of those bad boys in. Trick-or-treating should be for the kids. Candy is expensive and it's kind enough that people hand it out at all.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

1. cutest giraffe ever. ever.
2. I know!!!!! We had so many grown adults come to the door, sometimes without any kids with them. One lady came by herself, said trick or treat, and held out TWO BAGS!!!! What the crap?

Connie said...

HAHAHA, Marianne. Yeah, that would catch me off guard. Gail, at first I thought you were complaining about adults dressing up at the Trunk or Treat. But then I read further :) I dress up at the Trunk or Treat because I don't think I should dress up on Halloween. Then people will think I'm trying to collect candy for myself when I take the kids out. I can't believe people do that on purpose!

Josh looks so stinkin' cute! I love babies in Halloween costumes!

Mom Cove said...

The family picture at Trunk or Treat is Very Cute, however, I don't think I've ever seen such a serious looking giraffe.

Was it upset because it didn't get to nibble on the candy?

:)

Katy said...

Uh, weird. I've never had an adult actually collect candy, but maybe that's a sign of the hard economic times and they are hungry...in which case you shouldn't be asking for candy and asking for canned food instead...geesh.

And here's my 2 cents on teens and trick or treating...I personally think kids should stop around 13 and start having get togethers instead BUT...IF you are going to trick or treat AT LEAST put a decent effort into dressing up and be friendly/respectful. We had a group of 15ish year old boys - their "costumes" were so pathetic and they pretty much just held out their bags without saying a word.

It makes me sound 83 years old...but kids these days!

Katy said...

Oh, yeah - I love little babies dressed up! Josh is so cute as a giraffe!

Sophia said...

I love that giraffe costume Joshy...you're the cutest giraffe ever! I love the way Joshy smiles in his pictures...he looks so happy. :) Whenever I'm around him I feel happier too!

That's weird that adults were trick-or-treating. I think I'd be irritated if they came to my door. Arianne's right...better to give them a trick, rather than a treat- toothpaste cookies! Remove the yummy white filling from oreo cookies and replace with toothpaste. :) Better have a bowl full of those ready for next year, just in case!