Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Frito Pie

Are frito pies really only a dish served in New Mexico? My husband was in charge of bringing the food to a luncheon at work the other day. "What's easy to make, and a crowd-pleaser as well?" he thought. "I know! Frito pie!" So, he worked hard the night before, preparing his condiments and making some nice spicy chilli. But when he took the food to work the next day, no one knew what a frito pie was and my husband had to explain to everyone how to assemble their food. It was a definate crowd-pleaser. But why had no one heard of this delicious dish before? Why frito pies haven't swept the nation in full force is a mystery to me. I figure I should let my blog friends know how to assemble a frito pie. If you have kids, they'll love it.


First layer - fritos (no, not cheetos, not doritos - fritos)
Second layer - Chilli beans (they can be anything from homemade to a can of hormel)
Third layer - Cheese
Fourth layer - Chopped lettuce
Fifth layer - Chopped tomatoes
Sixth layer - Sour Cream

There! That's it! This has to be one of New Mexico's greatest accomplishments and probably something that actually makes me proud to have grown up in New Mexico (this coming from a girl that grew up in the town where the atomic bomb was built).

16 comments:

Laurel said...

I absolutely agree!!! It's insane that more ppl dont know about them!!

Crystal said...

But is that a pickle in the picture? Pickles don't go with frito pie. Maybe it's a chile.

Maggie & Nate said...

Oh wow! That is interesting! I should make it for some Utahans...:0~

Gail said...

I know Crystal. I think it's supposed to be a pepper of some sort. It does look like a pickle though. It was the best picture I could find. Why? Because I couldn't find any pictures of frito pies on account of no one knowing what they are.

Ryan and Chelsea said...

This looks yummy and easy to make too!! We are definitely having this next week!

Heather said...

Frito Pie is an East Texas favorite! I have it monthly! You're totally right about no one knowing what it is, I just always think... How can you not know about Frito Pie?! It's the best!!

I'm glad I have a Frito Pie friend, we'll have to get together and have it sometime!

Crystal said...

Frito pie party at Gail's house!

Annie said...

Gail thank you for that walk down memory lane! I love Frito Pie and I've missed it since leaving NM!

Jacob said...

Fritos pies are great. However, in your pie building layer list you forgot a few:
Layer 4.5 - Cheese
Layer 5.5 - Cheese
Layer 7 - Cheese
The fifth layer of tomatoes can also be replaced with cheese.

Gail said...

Guess what, Heather. As I was looking for an image of a frito pie, I came across the wikipedia description. It says they are famous in Texas and New Mexico. So, there you go.

Gail said...

Thanks for clearing that up Jacob.

Tiffany said...

Oh I love Frito Pie!!! I can't believe people didn't know about this!! It is one of my fav meals!!

Katy said...

Looks yummy - I love Fritos. This my disturb your Frito pie sensibilities, but we make Taco Salad all the time with fritos - lettuce, fritos, meat/taco seasoning, cheese, tomatoes, carrots, and Thousand Island dressing.

I actually had heard of Frito pie thanks to the show King of the Hill "Frito Pie with Wolf Brand Chili" they would say.

Katy said...

Oh, and that's "may" instead of "my" - I wish we could edit our comments for stupid spelling errors

Gail said...

No Katy. A taco salad with fritos (I've had that before) is not the same thing. Not at all.

Unknown said...

yum! I love frito pie. I agree with Jacob though, whoever you may be...
When I was little, and didn't try new things (maybe because my dad's chili was more onions than meat and beans), we'd have frito pies, and i'd make mine with...cheese...cheese...and sour cream...and cheese.
Sounds disgusting, I know, but it was delicious. Now I add the other toppings as well. I think I'll teach this to my in-laws here in utah. ps: found your blog via Chelsea's...hope that's ok ;) daveosarah.blogspot.com