Monday, March 23, 2009

Yes, I'm a mother now...

Last night was rough... I thought the baby was supposed to get better at sleeping, not worse! I have been up since 4:00 in the morning pretty much. Here is the dilemma and any suggestions are welcome. Every time I give Josh his bottle (it used to only be sometimes but now it's all the time) he has a real struggle actually latching onto it. First he just bites with his little gums, and then he thrashes his head back and forth, and then he cries. It's almost like he's so excited to eat, that he can't. Then, once he starts sucking, he swallows so vigorously that he swallows air and chokes. This is the pattern every time and I can't figure out how to help him. It's so sad! Suggestions?

7 comments:

Annie said...

I dont know if it applies to bottles or not, but I know so babies have issues with the position their tounge is in when they try to eat. I understand it just takes some practice, but if you talk to you pediatrician he/she should be able to help you out. Good luck! Parenthood isn't always easy but it is most definately always worth it!

Jamie said...

I wish I could help but I have no clue. I'm sure he's just trying to figure it out. My babies had no problem latching on but I know a lot of my friends babies did. Maybe trying new bottles with different nipples. I've heard it may be the bottle or the flow of the nipple. It may be coming out too fast for little J. Never hesitate to call your pediatrician.... seriously, call! Good luck and I promise it gets worse before it gets better, but it DOES get better and it will get better soon. Let me know if you need anything.

JoykLucyb said...

Does he take a pacifier? We use the nuk brand pacifiers and when our girls had a tough time with the regular bottle nipples, we decided to use the nuk brand bottle nipples. Since they are the same shape as the pacifier nipples, the girls had no problem latching on. Good luck!

Katy said...

I was happy to see you the other day!!! Thanks for letting me drop in!

For the bottle...Grant did a little bottle feeding but when it comes to feeding babies milk by mouth, I won't really be an expert until the next baby! The pediatrician should be able to refer you to a feeding specialist if the problem continues and he/she sees the bottle issue for themselves and has no suggestions. Trying different bottles/nipples may help (shorter nipples, different shapes). Maybe the ped can even recommend a lactation consultant - even though you're not nursing, I'm sure they have great pointers on holding, latching, etc.

But, even with all that said, I know it's hard not to get upset by stuff like this, especially when it makes baby so mad. But he will pick this up and figure out to get food properly - his little mind and body isn't going to let him starve or get too little. Talk to your doctor to make sure there really is nothing signficant that you need to change or that is making it too hard for him to eat, but otherwise, he'll get better with practice. He won't let himself get too hungry!

Unknown said...

I could be totally wrong, but here's my two cents... I noticed with Brodi that a lot of times he would get really hungry and really impatient, and then the food couldn't come fast enough (he's a pretty big kid). So he would start eating and then throw his head back and get really mad. So I would do like your other friends have said and try a bunch of different bottle nipples with different flow speeds (I noticed that boys eat a lot more than girls typically do, so he might need something faster, or it could be too fast and it might be chocking him). Also he might not actually be hungry, he might have gas, be constipated, or just wants something to suck on to help him settle to sleep... I know it's frustrating sometimes, but pretty soon here you'll know him inside and out and be a pro at this whole thing. Hope that it helps!

ColleenaMareena said...

Make sure to feed him BEFORE he starts crying, as soon as he starts making those little noises and turning his face towards anything that touches it, even if it seems like he just ate. Once they start really crying, it's so hard for them to stop, that they just cough & splutter. It's also good to try a low-flow nipple (we used Avent brand size 1) so it's easier on him. And most people think I'm crazy when I say this, but all three of my babies have slept with me from day 1, and all three of them have slept thru the night from day 1. I don't count waking up to eat, since they just fall back asleep immediately afterwards. I thought it was coincidental with the first, then the second, and now the third...and I'm convinced! They really NEED that constant warm loving mama, and it makes it much easier to feed them when they first start getting hungry & squirming, rather than when the crying wakes you up. good luck! Enjoy it, smile, and take LOTS of pictures! :)

Tiffany said...

I would try the ventaire bottles from playtex and get the wide mouth nipples. I don't breast feed but both my girls loved these bottles! Never had issues eating! Good luck! He is so so beautiful!!